Saturday, July 9, 2011

Wrapping up SE AZ

I'm back in Tuscon, where I last left you.  I just finished up two jam packed days of birding in SE Arizona, specifically at Patagonia Lake State Park area and specific locales around Sierra Vista.  Both spots were within earshot of Mexico, and in fact driving three nights ago to Patagonia Lk SP I had to pass through a patrol checkpoint.  Despite my scruffy looking beard, they let me pass.  Overall, the birding was pretty good.  I was able to access tons of riparian areas- lush green habitats that border the few rivers (more like streams) that run through the otherwise barren landscape- which act as great magnets for rare and interesting birds.  But I could not for the life of me gain access to any of the mountain habitats which house many of the Mexican gems that I was looking for.  As predicted, all National Forest land, of which all the mountains are a part of- remained closed to the public due to forest fire danger.  I tried gaining access at three different locations.  I was turned around at all three, either by road blockades, or by military officers (I tried to drive into an active military base which has land in the mountains).  The only access to any mountainous forests is by way of private land.  Now, I am not one to obey private property signs.  Although everyone is entitled to their own land, and to do with it as they wish, I find is selfish for one family to own 10,000 acres of land, all of which is used as cattle range.  Although jumping a fence would have been easy as cake, I have had run ins with private landowners on other occasions while doing this, and the end result has not always been pretty.  In Ithaca, two guys in a mustang tore across their field towards me, got out, and threatened to kill me once.  I pleaded that I was only bird watching and would leave immediately.  They came at me with bats, so I used my XC speed and took off into the woods.  I escaped that time, but I learned my lesson.  Plus, being so close to the Mexican border, I didnt want to give the impression of an illegal immigrant wandering aimlessly across private land.  Needless to say, I missed a few of the special birds of Southeast Arizona I came here for.  It's frustrating having traveled so far for these birds, only to be turned around less than a mile from the forest access points.  The sky Islands as they area called are some of the top birding hotspots a birder's wish list, and I just got denied.  Regardless, I'm still leaving this region with around 30 new birds that I've never seen before.  And I got 6 different Hummingbirds.  I still had a blast.  I guess I just owe Southeast Arizona another visit in the future.
Computer batteries running low, so Ill post pics later, but here's a list of some of the cool birds that I saw.  Feel free to look them up.  Some of them are really "pretty"
-Varied Bunting, Vermilion Flycatcher, Broad-billed Hummingbird, Violet-crowned Hummingbird, Costa's Hummingbird, Thick-billed Kingbird, Painted Redstart, Magnificent Hummingbird, Mexican Jay, Gray Hawk, Summer Tanager.

No comments:

Post a Comment