Monday, July 18, 2011

coast to coast

Well, I made it!  On Sunday, the 17th of July, I finally saw the Pacific Ocean!  Oh what a fantastic sight!  I havent seen the ocean in a few years, not even the Atlantic.  Im not much of beach bum, so I don't travel to the Jersey shore very often.  But man, was I happy to finally see that coast.  It first showed itself as I drove through Oakland, looking across the San Francisco Bay to the Golden Gate Bridge, the gateway to the ocean.  It was even more revealing when I entered Point Reyes National Seashore, MUCH more revealing.  This park was given federal designation under JFK and protects hundreds of miles of rocky coast with intermittent sandy beaches.  It also lies directly on the San Andreas Fault line, the point of clashing plates which were responsible for the 1989 World Series quake as well as the Great Fire of San Francisco.  Getting out of my car near the point itself, I felt like a kid in a candy shop, giddy with the potential for new birds, sea faring birds I would never dream of finding anywhere else on my trip.  I found quite a few, almost 10 new species for me in just a few hours at the tip of Point Reyes.  I picked a perfect weather day to be out there too.  Water's were calm and the sun was shining.  I couldnt have asked for a better welcoming to the Pacific coast.  After spending most of the late afternoon out at the point, I drove back towards mainland, and found myself the only designated campground that is near the park entrance.  Being such a select campground, of course they were charging absurd prices for tent camping.  $44 for a spot in the dirt.  Sure they also provided laundry service, electricity, a post office, and probably showers, but I didnt need any of that.  I picked out a spot, awoke at 530 the next morning and busted outa there before anyone knew I was ever there.  I did put $10 in an envelope and slipped it under the office door, a fair tip for what they provided for me: a spot in the dirt.
Windmills everywhere on the way to Oakland

Point Reyes National Seashore

Perfect day to arrive at the pacific

Western Gull.  Theyre everywhere out here, but I'd never seen one before this trip

Sunrise in Point Reyes

Seashore

Harbor Seals!

View from the point looking landward.

No comments:

Post a Comment