Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Heading to the birding mecca

Call me a dork, but southeast Arizona is the ultimate birding destination in all of North America.  More rare birds from Mexico are found here than anywhere else along the border.  Many birds that are commonly found south of the US border extend their ranges up into this corner of the state via the Mexican mountain ranges that just barely reach across the border into Arizona.  Not to mention the creeks in the area that create riparian habitats that attract many birds, and the unique surrounding desert habitat, and suddenly you create little islands of habitat that house birds that aren't found anywhere else in North America.  Im literally getting jittery just thinking about the possibilities.  Throughout the whole trip thus far, I've known what to expect in the specific birding locations and habitats that I've visited.  But down here, anything goes.  Hell, I could very likely find a bird that's never before been seen in North America!  Eh, that's unlikely.  But if that were to happen anywhere, it would be SE Arizona.  Already today and last night, Ive seen over 10 bird species that I've never seen before, a tribute to the area's unique bird diversity.  In North America, you literally cannot find most of the birds that I will be (hopefully) finding unless you drive south of Tuscon and bird the mountains and valleys that lie adjacent to Mexico only a few miles away. 
  That being said...I also chose probably the worst year to come to SE Arizona for birds.  So far, forest fires have been sending the mountains up in flames.  Already this year, New Mexico has had more acreage succumb to fire than any other year, and Arizona is on the same track.  Many of the great birding destinations of the area are located within these forests which comprise Coronado National Forest.  Last I heard, the entire National Forest and all its recreational areas and campgrounds area closed to the public, as teams continue to fight the fires, or simply as preventative measures to keep accidental fires from popping up in unburned areas.  Online updates of the forest indicate that many areas will not be open until the monsoons come.  The area just got a shower yesterday, so hopefully some of the birdiest locales, like Miller and Madera Canyons, will open in the next few days while I'm down here.
  Regardless, I will still enjoy myself.  Like I said, the habitats down here are so diverse, there will be PLENTY of birds for me to sift through.  I'm probably going to get overwhelmed by it all, and not want to leave, lest I not have enough time to watch some of the cool birds that I plan on finding.  To put it into perspective, Im likely to see over 10 hummingbird species down here.  In the entire Northeastern US, there's only 1 regularly occurring hummer.  Yea, its going to be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment