Saturday, June 25, 2011

Rocky Mountain National Park tribulations

I arrived in Estes Park last night around 9.  I had thought of staying the night for free at Ashley's in Denver, but the logistics of the trip didnt make it possible.  No worries! I'd find a place in the National Forest and just pitch a tent.  But on the drive into the mountains, all pull-offs were marked with either private property signs or "no overnight camping" posts.  What's the point of having all this great federal land if you can't camp there.  If I didn't have my car, I could have camped anywhere in the forests and nobody would give a hoot.  The park services is just forcing us into paying campgrounds within the national forests.  I take pride in being frugal, so this does not sit well with me. 
  Initially I set my tent up at one of these illegal sites, I wised up and continued on to 3 campgrounds between me and Rocky Mountain NP....all were completely full!  So I continued to Estes Park, where one campground had zero tent sites left, and only a few $37 RV sites.  I passed that up initially, drove to the park entrance, hoping to camp inside the park.  But all sites were full there as well.  I sure chose a hell of a time to arrive in the Rocky Mountains.  I went back to the site charging $37, very pissed, drove around in the dark til I lucked upon a tent platform at the back of the campground that wasnt even a registered site.  I took it anyway.  This all took about two hours to sort out.  I was very much on edge at that point, having gone through all the trouble for some measly plot of land to set up a tent.  I dared anyone to come up to me and tell me I couldn't camp there....

I departed in the morning before the camp office opened, initially dodging the $30 (!) to camp for one night.  But my conscience got the better of me later in the day, as I had thoughts that maybe they came around in the middle of the night and took down my license plate, and would somehow fine me for dooping them.  I went back and paid the $30.  The office was completely oblivious to my previous nights camping.  The lady at the desk said they appreciated my honesty in coming back to pay.  I tried to smile at her, but just walked out disgusted at throwing away my money.  I shouldn't complain.  I have the money, and I know it was the right thing to do, but as I've already expressed, excessive charges to camp when I should be able to sleep for free anywhere in a national forest really upsets me.
Thank goodness for McDonald's internet, the only thing that seems to be free on my trip.
AGain, sorry for lack of photos.  Somethings slowing down my computer.  One of these days Ill update stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Stefan, sometimes you are too good of a guy! Don't feel guilty about not paying when you got ripped off in the first place. Miss you keep having fun and be safe =]

    ReplyDelete