Friday, June 3, 2011

camp and ditch

Camping has actually been quite expensive in Canada, with one site in Ontario running me $40.  Most sites are cheaper, and Manitoba has been around $20.  I spent 8 hours in Rivers Provincial Park: 7 sleeping, and 1 setting up and taking down my tent. The site was nothing special, and it creeped me out.  I figured if I left before 8, I could get out before the staff arrived.  So I did.  And honestly, I don't feel bad at all.

Drove today to Riding Mountain National Park, in central Manitoba.  This park is all forest, similar to Algonquin PP, a mix of hardwoods and spruce/tamaracks.  The park is like an island in a sea of prairie.  It represent a shoreline that used to exist when a glacier melted thousands of years ago, leaving behind Lake Agassiz, which covered most of Manitoba and northern Minnesota.  Today, all thats left of that lake is a few lakes in Manitoba and the waters at Agassiz NWR which I visited a few days ago....Im actually spending some time in the park looking for a few specific birds that I have not yet seen on this trip or in my life:  Spruce Grouse, Three-toed Woodpeckers, and Connecticut Warbler.  So far, no dice.
Clear Lake shoreline, Riding Mountain NP

photogenic frog

BUT!  I did treat myself to a delicious meal in a quaint little town within the park called Wasagaming.  Big old buffalo burger with fries and 3 glasses of Orange crush soda.  Oh how unbelievably delicious.  Oh I savoured it for sure.  A littel bit of heaven, surrounded by freeze-dried camping food, power bars, and McDonalds.
Bam!
  One night in Riding Mountain than off to SW Manitoba for the day and night tomorrow!  Hoping the wind I've had the past 3 days dies down.

No comments:

Post a Comment