Thursday, June 16, 2011

Glacier and onward

I just finished two nights in Glacier National Park.  For the most part, it was cold, and wet.  And in comparison to Banff, it simply did not compare.  In defense of the place, there are fewer roads through Glacier, so it's harder to get deep into the park to see the big peaks, unless you're willing to hike in for a few days.  Also, the main road through the interior of the park was closed after about 15 miles because heavy snow in the upper section of the road had yet to be cleared, and large snow packs still loomed above the road, potential avalanche locations that would wipe out cars if the road had been open at this point.  So most of my travels in the park was limited to a few trails and a small section of road.  Still a nice place with lots of cool birds and other wildlife.  Saw 2 black bears.  There is also a large section of interior rain forests, containing >200 year old western hemlocks and red cedars.  Some of the biggest trees I have ever seen!  A few of the cedars were measured at greater than 6 feet in diameter. 
I also went 4 days without showering.  Not my fault.  Glacier does not provide showers for it's campers.  I had to drive outside the park to an RV campground and use their showers. 
Today I left Glacier behind me, in the rain and cold.  Temps topped out today at 50.  I slowly made my way to Missoula, Montana, stopping at Pipestone National Wildlife Refuge and the National Bison Range, where a huge natural prairie still houses something like 200 Plains Bison.  Unfortunately they're not truly wild, as the area is enclosed by fencing to keep the bison from wandering into unwanted cattle lands and farm fields.  But the enclosure must be at least 100sq miles, so there's plenty of room for these big guys to roam.  I saw plenty of bison, as well as a few neat birds, including my first ever Gray Partridge and Western Bluebirds. 
Highlight of the day though was Missoula.  I did a run from the downtown section up through Montana University campus, and up the "M" trail, which follows a bunch of switchbacks up a 650ft elevation gain to a big M on the side of a hill overlooking the valley and Missoula below you.  The M was constructed in the 60s by students to show school spirit.  It's over 100 ft tall and 100ft wide.  And it's one of the most popular hiking trails in Montana.  My pace going up was a bit hot, and I was nearly crawling by the time I reached the M, but I DID run up the entire way.  I took in the sight of Missoula for a bit before scampering back downhill, retracing my steps back to my car. 
I passed through a small carnival on my way back through town, with live music playing and vendors selling all sorts of food.  I decided to take in some of the local flavor.  I arrived too late after my run to enjoy the music, but I did cash in on some good eats:  polish hot dog, deep fried donuts, and baskin robbins ice cream for dinner. 
By the time I got my bearings again, it was after 10.  And there are few campsites in the Missoula area, surprisingly.  So I spent a little extra money, and am staying in a hotel tonight.  The Mountain Valley Inn.  Kinda old looking.  Bed's a little firm.  But television, internet, and complimentary breakfast in the am.  At this point, I kind of need this. 
Tomorrow its off to...yup, it only makes sense....YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK.
Grammatical error?  Not a good first impression, montana.

Every geographical feature?  let me know when you find this in maryland, bickell.  Glacier NP

uprooted tree

Giant Red Cedar

Chipmunk

vista from trail looking down on Lake McDonald, Glacier NP

adult male Pronghorn, National Bison Range

Bison chilling

Interesting speed limit rules.  Makes sense though.  We should all be more cautious at night.

1 comment: