Tuesday, June 7, 2011

A note on gas stations

A few things about the gas stations up here.
  First off, they are my safe haven.  They are few and far between, sometimes 30, 40, or 50 miles. Any time I hit these oases, I feel a calming sensation knowing my little car has some more gas to feed on, and that I can continue my trip.  I know it's not a "green" way of thinking, but without gas stations, I wouldnt be getting very far on this trip.  Not only that, I've found all the gas station attendants to be quite friendly.  Perhaps its the way of the local people who become very friendly with the regular customers and that carries over to me.  Or maybe it's their curiosity in why the hell a guy from Pennsylvania is at their gas station in the middle of nowhere.  Whatever it is, their gas, food, and friendliness helps keep me going.
  Also, trucks up here are a must.  9 out of every 10 automobiles on the road is a truck.  And not some wussy toyota tundra.  We're talking the big gas guzzlers.  Ford F-350, Chevy Avalanches, GMC huge honkin trucks.  Despite their tendency to burn gas faster than a runner burns carbs (guy at the pump next to me put in $120.  Made me feel appreciate my $30-to-fill'er-up Prius), they are a complete necessity in farm country, epsecially this year, with all the water, mud, and just all around ruggedness of the landscape.  A prius would not survive a year up here.
The safe haven of a road warrior.  Youre looking at $1.33/liter.  Not too bad, considering I was paying nearly $1.45/liter in Ontario.  That's $5.48/gallon.  Never thought I'd say it, but I cannot WAIT to pay for US gas again.

No comments:

Post a Comment