Thursday, June 2, 2011

illegal oranges

The border patrol has not been the easiest for me to pass lately.  They pulled me over when I first came into Canada through New York.  When I decided to go back into the states at International Falls, Mn, I had a different type of incident.  Everything was fine at first.  They believed me that I was traveling cross country.  But when asked if I had any food items from Canada that I was bringing back to the states, I told them I had bought some bananas and oranges.  Well that set them off.  Pulled off to the side, a dept. of agriculture officer told me that it's illegal to bring oranges across, or any citrus fruit for that matter.  I had 3 oranges left, and he took them from me!  That was my best source of vitamin C right there!  He also noticed an apple.  He asked where I purchased it, and I said Canada.  He lectured me for failing to declare the apple....a single red delicious apple.  He said had it not been an apple that was grown in Canada I could have been fined $300 for failure to declare.  I know they have laws at the border, but what a bunch of sticklers. 

1 comment:

  1. Stefan the honesty is killing me, whenever a cop asks if your doing something that might be illegal the answer is always "NO."

    Cop asks if you have any canadian fruit, answer is "No"
    Cop asks if you've been drinking this evening, answer is "No" (never say one or two)

    ReplyDelete