Tuesday, June 7, 2011

The midwest

Just made my way through most of the midwest.  I am now in a small town in Western Saskatchewan.  Shamanov, I think is the name.  My change oil light came on yesterday, and I figured I should get that dealt with.  I've driven over 3000 so far and obviously it was in need of a change.  And considering this is the nearest town for nearly 20 miles, I best deal with it now.
  The midwest has been an experience.  So different than anything I am used to.  Yesterday was especially eye-opening, driving through a section of southern Saskatchewan not more than 10 miles from the Montana border.  This area of the country is treeless, for as far as you can see in any direction.  It's all agricultural fields and cattle fields, pockmarked everywhere with prairie potholes, small ponds that serve as nesting grounds for a large number of North America's ducks and geese (hence the regions nickname, The Duck Factory).  But what's also noticeable here even more so than in SW Manitoba is the desolation.  There is nobody around.  Those that do pass you by are either 18 wheelers or farmers in pickup trucks.  Fortunately, so far, any encounters I've had with the locals on the backroads, which have been few, have been extremely friendly.  While driving close to the Saskatchewan-Montana border yesterday, I farmer pulled over next to me as I was scoping out some birds and asked me where I was going, and suggested some interesting points of interest along the way.  He was also helpful in pointing out where the next gas station was ("oh about 45 miles down that way).  Running into friendly people like this is a very welcoming encounter in such a humbling environment where it's easy to feel so small.
Desolation in SW Saskatchewan

One of the many prairie potholes

  The birding throughout the midwest has been great though.  So far, I've seen over ten birds that I've never seen before, and over 180 species for the trip.  The drive through the Big Muddy Valley in Southern Saskatchewan was especially rewarding.  The birds were great, as I added Sprague's Pipit and Sharp-tailed Grouse to my life list.  But the views were even better.  Although no Rocky Mountains, the bluffs and buttes that protrude from this landscape really give you a sense that you're out west.  It also helps break up the monotony of the never ending flat plains that you have to drive through to reach the area.
  I spent the night last night in Assiniboia, in a campground right next to the local pool and elementary school, so lots of kids were running around as I set up my tent.
In honor of Regina Selman

Buttes in Big Muddy Valley

Entering the Big Muddy Valley.  I was there for maybe an hour and a half and had 3 cars pass me.

Can you find the Sprague's Pipit??  I can't.  this bird sings its territorial song from upwards of 600 feet in the air over its patch of prairie grass.  I was able to find this sparrow sized bird in my binoculars, watching it for 15 minutes, and never once did it come down to the ground

The locals in Big Muddy Valley

    

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha Regina wanted me to make sure that you knew that the capital of Saskatchewan is Regina lol. She'll be so happy you posted that pic :)

    ReplyDelete