Thursday, May 26, 2011

At the cabin

I arrived Tuesday afternoon at our cabin in Elgin, Ontario.  A relatively easy drive, except for the border patrol officer who pulled me over and made me wait 45 minutes at customs.  I guess my story of driving across country for the sake of sight seeing sounds a little far-fetched for a kid just graduated driving a car that doesnt belong to him.  They eventually let me pass.  Now I'm in Canada!  Spent the rest of the day figuring out camping equipment and whatnot.  Went to the local diner in Elgin and got a nice pizza with dad.
  Wednesday was gorgeous!  The lake was as calm as could be and the sun was shining.  I went bird watching back to the beaver pond and found the Great Blue Heron on her nest with at least one chick in it.  I also found the nests of a Tree Swallow and Common Grackle.  The water levels around the area are extremely high.  I eventually walked so far around the beaver pond that I couldn't get back the way I had planned due to a swamp that stood in my way.  So I had to hike out to the main road (Davis Lock Road), and trudge the 2 or so miles back to the cabin that way.  It ended up being a great decision, because I found 2 singing male Golden-winged Warblers, a bird that is threatened in North American, with only isolated breeding populations, one of which is in the Rideau region where I'm staying. 
The beaver pond

Great Blue Heron on nest at the beaver pond

 Dad and I later went to the locks at Jones Falls where the high water has created somewhat of a mini Niagara Falls spewing from Sand Lake down into Whitefish Lake.  Let's just say that if you got caught in these rapids, you'd be smashed to bits.  It was quite impressive.  After dinner at a lobster house in Gananoque, we drove back to the cabin, where I finished up packing for the rest of the trip all on my own. 

Now I'm off to Algonquin Provincial Park, one of the larger parks in Ontario with a more northern feel to it.  Lots of bogs and spruce trees and great scenery.  Lions and tigers and bears oh my!  Not quite... but bears and wolves are residents within the park.  I only hope any interactions with these animals are from a distance.  Not sure about internet access up there, so I'll report back when I can! 

No comments:

Post a Comment